Sunday, October 21, 2007

Wow! Some Flutter!

Yes, yes, I know: neither "wow" nor "flutter" apply to either a stereo receiver or a CD changer. But, I defend myself with poetic license.

If only briefly the other day, my SX-950 lived. I powered it up on a whim, and it surprised me (and my HPM-100s) with life--first the voices from NPR, then with commercials from the local "vintage rock" radio station (which, of course, plays more commercials than vintage rock). Soon, however, guitars and voices from the Grateful Dead's "Hundred Year Hall" filled the room, and I realized again what I have missed these last few years will listening to music in my car or through my Koss headphones. As the writer Lazlo Kominski remarked when I announced this glorious event, "Always test the life of your stereo with the Dead!"

I do not know, of course, if the SX-950 will be alive when I again coo and whisper to it. And, because my house is small and my family's ears insulted by my lingering affection for music that literally moves me, I must wait for 2 more days to find out.

No comments: