Friday, December 7, 2007

Scotch Whisky a Go Go: Part, the First

This is dull stuff. I spent 4 days in Edinburgh, and I enjoyed them all. There are, however, 2 experiences--both of which I find more interesting than the following drivel-- that will be part of a later post.

After a 2-hour train ride from York to Edinburgh, I exit Waverly Station and confront not only cosmopolitan bustle, but the shadow of a castle built on top of and into an extinct volcano. It's quite the view, as though I've somehow left Kansas for Oz.

Once I find my way out of the train station (not always a simple task), I seem to be better oriented than I was in either London or York, though this might be because I spent more time perusing maps of the city before arriving. The B&B is supposed to be about a half-hour walk away, and I schlep my pack past the Sir Walter Scott Monument, then up, over, and down a steep hill to the B&B, where the owner, Alasdair, shows up shortly after arrive and admonishes me for not letting her know when I would arrive. She will come to love me soon.

I leave my room quickly, eager to begin exploring without having to carry a heavy pack. I am in search of the Royal Mile, which is not far from Waverly Station, specifically the Writers' Museum, where.... Yes, again the Moleskine is empty of details, as though only part of me had been there.

End of day one. Finis. Just like that.

No comments: