Monday, March 23, 2009

Equinox

Ninety-six years ago today, on Easter Sunday, my grandmother decided to be born. It must have been a good day for many people, and I have enjoyed her company for many decades now. Our family got together to celebrate with her yesterday, and though she is somewhat frail, she remains lucid and funny. Good for her. From her I have learned tolerance and patience, though perhaps not as well as she expected. If I live to be 96, maybe I will better understand both tolerance and patience.

Sixteen years and 3 days ago, on the first day of spring, my mother decided she did not want to live anymore, so she left. It was a rough few months back then--because of this and other things. My mother liked parties, and she would have enjoyed seeing her own mother turn 96. She would have had cake. She was also only 7 years older than I am now, which is a scary fact.

Twenty-six years and 4 days ago, my oldest son decided to be born. It was a wonderful day. We had a party for him this year, too, which was nice. I look at him and wonder if there is anything I have taught him--certainly not patience or tolerance, for I don't have enough of either to spare. He is much smarter than I in many ways, and I think he probably knows that.

No comments: