Saturday, May 2, 2009

Doing Battle

No fooling: April 1, 2009

Spent a second breakfast with the 2 women who joined me yesterday. They were quite pleasant, and we spoke about many things: traveling, British and American English (essentially, "who do Americans take the language and change so much of it"), and a bit of politics. As did Mark the Swede did a couple of years earlier in Edinburgh, the women wonder at why the United States thinks that it somehow has dominion over the world because of its superpower status. Though I am tempted to point out that the English Empire has a somewhat dubious history as a world leader, I instead hold my tongue and simply enjoy my toast, my tea, and my single hard-boiled egg. They also tell me of a trip they made to Paris, at how friendly people there were, at how they successfully navigated their way via subway and taxi even given their inability to speak French. Once, they said, they were on the subway late one night, and the train stopped at a station, an announcement of some type came over the train's intercom, and everyone on the train got off. Figuring they might as well do the same thing, they followed suit, correctly assuming that the train was done for the night.
An hour or so after breakfast I board a train to the town of Battle, where the battle of Hastings took place in October of 1066. (Read your English history for the rest of the story.) Though I have no map of Battle itself, I find my way to the battle site, pay my entry fee, collect my little audio-tour device, then set out walking. The day is sunny if breezy, a good day to be outside and walking in a place less hectic than London. Here is a photograph of the battlefield itself, now covered with peaceful sheep. Though the photograph does not show it well, this is taken from downhill of the distant building and wall.
And here, ruins of an abbey built after the battle itself.

And beneath the abbey, an area where the monks apparently liked to gather for their little monk-parties.


Overall, the trip is worth the cost, and I am glad to have gotten a bit of tourist-type insight into something that happened so long ago, something so significant.

Returning to London late in the afternoon, I spend a few hours exploring areas south of the Thames, an area new to me. I make a mad dash to the Tate Modern art museum, where I discover that I have neither the artistic background nor the imagination to understand much of what I am seeing. One exhibit, a very old Volkswagen bus (with snow tires on the front wheels) trailed by a large gathering of just-as-old wooden sleds. It is a place, I think, where someone like me needs a true guide--the BFA/MFA types who are willing to educate me. Instead, I wander the exhibits with a haste more than likely governed by general fatigue and overall hunger. So, walking back across the Thames, I find a pub, sit down to a glass of wine and a dinner of sausage of mash, and try to figure out what the hell I have just seen.


Next time: A friend, her daughter, their friend, and more London

No comments: