Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mussels in Brussels, Pt. 2

After a quick buffet breakfast on the morning of my first full day in Brussels, I headed out to see what more I could see. I wandered to the Parc Brussels, a small version of Hyde Park, then through the park to the Palais Royale. No royalty actually live in the palace, but its girth is impressive. This is the palace from the opposite end of the park.
And the palace itself looks like this:


Walking more, I come upon the Palace of Fine Arts, and after some internal debate, pay the five Euros and head inside. There I find many paintings by both Bruegel and Brueghal, and I tell myself to find out the difference between the two. One painting, by Pieter Bruegel, is De val van Icarus, which I am familiar with and think translates to The Fall of Icarus. I also find paintings by Peter Paul Rubens and Georges Seurat, some of whose works I have seen before. Still, I find myself saddened by my lack of familiarity with so much fine art. I finally find something I can relate to--in an antique shop.


Again returning to the Grande Place, I buy assorted gifts to take home, then find an outdoor cafĂ© where dining would seem to be pleasant. But, when I order a sandwich off the menu, the waiter tells me simply, “No sandwiches today.” So, I settle for a beer, a Stella Artois, and wonder where sandwiches are served. When the beer is gone, I head to an area I walked through yesterday—a couple of streets lined with hundreds of different restaurants. It is an amazingly touristy place where waiters stand outside and, in assorted languages, try to get people to stop and eat. My feet are tired and my stomach is empty, so I let myself be seated at one of the tables just inside a restaurant, and I order shrimp, a glass of wine, and a bucket of mussels. Below are photographs of one of the streets, and from my table just inside the restaurant.



Afterward, I of course get lost again as I navigate my way back to my hotel, arriving just after dark.

My final, partial day in Brussels involves little more than getting back to the train station for to catch the Eurostar back to London. And though I succeed in getting on the correct subway train and get off at what I think is the correct train station, I actually get lost in the station itself, end up at street level, and walk fairly aimlessly for half a mile before admitting I am lost. Retracing my steps, I find the station again, get lost inside of it again, and finally find the Eurostar terminal which is little more than a large waiting room. I buy a baguette and a chocolate bar, then eat them both as I wait for my train.

Then, as I read my book, I am approached by a tall, blonde woman who has stacked behind her several large suitcases. She asks if I will watch her bags while she finds the restroom, and though I have been trained not to do such things, I quickly say that I would be happy to. She disappears, and only minutes later two young men in black pants and white shirts appear, and they ask me if the suitcases are mine. I tell them that, no, they most certainly are not, but that their owner should be back soon. They talk among themselves as though trying to figure out what to do, and then they leave a card on the suitcases, a card that warns people to be aware of pickpockets.

When the woman returns, I tell her what happened, and we both laugh. Okay, I probably giggle since I’m not used to strange women talking to me. She tells me her name is Sharon, and she sits a couple of seats down. She says that she is a performer, that she travels much in Europe and makes a good living. She is also Canadian. We talk about many things: our respective occupations, our love of travel, where we grew up and went to school. We say our goodbyes when our train arrives, and as I watch her, I wonder how one person can require so much luggage.

I find my seat on the train, and I wonder what to make of Brussels. I am glad that I visited, but I am not sure I would visit again. My lack of knowledge of the city is certainly a detriment, as is my inability to speak the native languages. I would like to see more of Belgium, for I have heard many good things about the country. Now, though, I am returning to London, and I am glad to be going back to someplace familiar.

Next time: The Easy Hotel in the Small Town of London

No comments: