Sunday, July 5, 2009

Power Trip

One of the fun things about writing fiction is choosing which characters live and which ones do not. Maybe, deep down, writers are narcissistic sociopaths who allow their submersible dark side surface through their fingers, but that might be something I'd have to ask a therapist. Of course, I also believe that, given free rein, characters make their own decisions, decisions that sometimes cause their demise.

I'm thinking of this now because, with a nice pen and a Rhodia notebook on the table in front of me, I'm at the start of a new novel and trying to figure out who the characters are and what they'll do for the next 90-thousand or so words. I completed the first chapter a couple of months ago but then got stuck figuring out how--and even why--one of the characters would die. The death itself is instrumental to the plot and the protagonist's life, but this how and why had me stumped. Then, while out riding my bike one day, I solved the problem: someone else, not my first choice, would die. Simple.

My approach to most of my writing goes against what many people have told me either in person or in their own writing: do the planning before you do the writing. Unfortunately I am not much of a planner when it comes to writing, though it wasn't until I figured out my second novel's ending was I able to complete most of the story. I do enjoy letting the characters develop on their own, and I often feel that planning too much of their lives makes them less real. That my success as a writer is nonexistent, however, probably means that I should have learned listen to people who know about these things.

A good day with Kominski yesterday further helped me with some possibilities for this latest work. I am now, for example, considering at least one new character, someone who can add some fodder to the story. Both Kominski and my friend Shawn are very good planners when they write, and it does me good to hear their advice and to learn about their work habits. Talking to people like these also helps me think things through, lets me try out ideas.

I'm spending too much time not writing, but I kind of like this part of the writing process: figuring out who the characters are be so I can get to know them before I send them on their way. And, of course, it's always fun to see who has the real power: the characters or the writer.

No comments: