Saturday, June 2, 2012

Call and Response: Viewpoints in 100 Words (#6)

Marla was easy to look at but hard to work for. She was in charge, and she knew it. William (never "Bill"), her husband, was a doctor who operated on old people. Marla had won an Emmy producing local news years earlier. Once, after a few beers, Wayne, from the mail-room, told her that everyone in local news wins an Emmy at some point. Wayne was the only one who didn't know Marla slept with the company's CEO. He was fired two weeks later. And Marla? She was the only one who didn't know her husband slept with his nurses.

---

I delivered the mail. I pushed a cart and dropped things off in people's offices. I made two runs a day: in the morning, then again early in the evening. The morning run took longer because I'd talk to people. I got to know them as they told me about their lives. Marla, our communications director, never talked, and I knew she thought I wasn't worthy of conversation. I learned about her anyway because I'd see her stay late and slink into the CEO's office where the two of them would laugh. My job was menial, but I knew things.

No comments: