Sunday, March 2, 2014

Going Crazy

This is an old one--written in graduate school and submitted to the "Room of One's Own" poetry contents. There's more to the story, of course, but we'll just keep that a little secret.



Going Crazy


1.
I leave to escape fragments
of previous conversations
I cannot swear to ever having.
It is the warm gin that affects me,
I tell myself, or too much poetry
or aftershocks from a single
mescaline overdose. Nothing more.

At the water’s edge I strip
and float into the cold,
fogged-over Pacific, wondering
if a man could drift to the
Cape of Good Hope with nothing
but skin and survive.

2.
Once I looked up from the Equator
and wondered why the sun seemed
no different, why I could not feel
a shift in polar influence.
But I can tell you water dripped
from a faucet, though it spins
with time when it reaches the sink,
vanishes just the same.

3.
What are the visible signs
of going crazy? I have asked
the round-faced postman,
who listens, and, once,
the milkman, who does not.
Tell me, what will I lose
first: my gait? bowel-control?
the simple ability to hold my hand
steady, like this? I think of my
three children, sweat beaded
on their cheeks, watching

my firm grasp loosen digit by
digit until they slip away and fade
into the common American blizzard
of apologies for drunk fathers.
  
4.
I know a man can stay afloat
a lifetime through only occasional,
fluid sweeps of one arm, forcing
the head back and trying
to remember to breathe. So little
is required: it is instinct;
it is years of lessons and learning
to find a way up through clear

water to sunlight. Yet,
I drift in the moonless
tide. This is fine, I say,
and dream of the breathless
life beneath the surface rising
with open mouths to consume
me, to drink from even
the first star.


No comments: