Friday, August 7, 2015

Intermission

What follows is commentary on the work of fiction (Home). This is mainly filler because there isn't much else going on, fiction-wise.



So far, in nine segments, Home is proving to be a challenge and is perhaps a bit too ambitious for someone of my abilities. As usual--and to the detriment of the work itself, I believe--I have worked without either a plan or a net. Spread out over the decades, the story is still trying to figure out where it is going and how it will end. The characters, too, are trying to find how they fit in and who they are. In the latest segment, which takes place on Thanksgiving Day, a few characters introduce themselves, and the relevance of the ending (dialogue, really) started to become clear to me a few days after those sentences were written, while I was riding my bike somewhere I didn't have to worry about navigating through traffic. They were actually written when I was alone in the silence of a cabin in Northern California, where silence is both good and welcome.

The way the work's timeline is developing, though, makes me realize that I'm going to have to start keeping notes not only about what's been written, but what will be written. Rather than developing literary flashbacks, I'm trying to keep each storyline simply play out across time until they finally come together at the end. 

More intermissions to follow, I'm sure.


No comments: