Monday, January 16, 2012

Reading, Writing, and a Little Arithmetic

Many times in this so-called blog I have discussed or alluded to teaching, an avocation that is showing signs of having run its course. I am old, and old people need their rest. Neither wise as a man nor gifted as a teacher, I sometimes now stand in front of my students and think that they would be better off elsewhere. Regardless, I continue to sign up for the teaching gigs, so I've got nobody to blame but myself. If my students want to blame someone, they can talk to the academic adviser who stuck them with me.

Most of my teaching has taken place at a large, privately owned university that, at its inception, was geared toward professional adults who quite often needed a college degree to move up the corporate ladder. The students had to be at least 23 years old. They had to be employed. They were expected to behave professionally in the classroom. As an instructor, these 3 requirements made my life easier, for the students were dedicated to their educations and didn't complain when they had a lot of schoolwork to complete.

But, when the university ran out of this type of student, they lowered the age requirement to 21, and the students no longer had to be employed. Not long afterward, I suppose when all the 21-year-old customers were gone, the age got lowered to 18. Today, much of the student population is, it seems to me, rather unmotivated. Of course, we always remember the outliers, the worst examples and the best. Students at this university take only one course at a time, and the course itself lasts just 5 weeks. Still, I hear many complaints about how difficult it is to write, I don't know, a 1,200-word essay while at the same time doing the required reading. Years ago I would show my empathy and say, "Yes, I understand how busy your lives are, but I think you can do it." Now, I'm more apt to say, "Imagine that--college is difficult."

I am old, and I am cranky.

In a couple of days I begin teaching a literature course for this university, which is a nice change from the composition courses I have worked through lately. Most of the students' material at this school is provided online, but a physical textbook is required for this course. So, being diligent, a couple of weeks ago I sent an email to the students to remind them to buy the book, that they will not succeed in the course

No comments: