Monday, November 5, 2007

Dots, Connecting the

A reader of this blog-thing pointed out a thematic connection that I hadn't caught: the poem "Wanderlust" from August 8 and the idea of 'restlessness' from "Light Travels" on November 3. Funny how things connect without our knowing. Perhaps Lazlo's Muse ("Musings," Oct. 27), or at least her homely second-cousin, is at work....

Shawn Pittard's comment on the Nov. 3 entry reminded me of a line from "Walking," an essay by Thoreau: "...you must walk like a camel, which is said to be the only beast which ruminates when walking." Thoreau also differentiates between "exercise" and "walking," though you'll have to find the essay itself if you want to read what he says.

As I ponder how to begin describing my fairly recent journey to England and Scotland, the first thing I think of is walking--that's what I did. Miles. Many miles, starting with the moment I found my way out of Victoria Station in London. My shoes came home lopsided, I walked so many miles.

So, I think that when I start writing about that journey, I'll start with something like this: "On March 21, 2007, I walked out of London's Victoria Station and found that I was lost."


No comments: