Friday, November 16, 2007

Book of Sighs

My friend Tom gave me my first Moleskine notebook in 2004. In it, I have chronicled three years' worth of various travels, excursions, and minor expeditions to the following, some more than once:
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Chicago, IL
  • Portland, OR
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Martha's Vineyard, MA
  • Boston, MA
  • Providence, RI
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Mendocino, CA
  • Gualala, CA
  • South Lake Tahoe, NV
  • Hartford, CT
  • Ely, MN
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • London, England
  • York, England
  • Canterbury, England
  • Ouray, CO
  • Woodstock, IL
  • Elko, NV
  • Tillamook, OR

I also have recorded certain quotations, such as these:
  • From Pascal: "The last thing one settles in writing a book is what one should put in first."
  • From Kierkegaard: "I can't bother to write what I have just written, and I can't bother to blot it out."
  • From Chatwin: "To lose a passport was the least of one's worries: to lose a notebook was a catastrophe."
My Moleskine is about two-thirds full now, and I am using it to compose various and occasional descriptions of my trip to Europe. What I am finding, however, is a certain lack of detail. For instance, my first day in London I wrote that I had "navigated the underground to the area near the British Museum." I wrote of spending 15 minutes figuring out how to navigate through the subway tunnels, but I have not one note about what I saw in the museum itself.

Have you heard of the Rosetta Stone, for example?

Leafing through the notebook now, however, I see the same pattern for three years: overviews and highlights, nothing in-depth. Another example: I did not note that, on my second day in London, I awoke to a light snowfall. I have remembered, however, that most of my note-taking involved an even smaller, more portable notebook, and from that one I would transcribe my notes into the one now on the sofa cushion beside me.

So, before describing more about Europe, I need to find the original notes, to un-censor myself. Chatwin was correct: losing a notebook is a catastrophe for a writer. What's worse, though, is to have an incomplete notebook. (We will return to the idea of notebooks when I describe Edinburgh; you'll have to wait for that.)

No comments: